12 February 2008

The Way We Were

The way we used to go, and the men we used to be,
are but fading memories I can barely see.
Are we now better men
than we were way back when;
or the better days will we no longer see?

It's a question I often find myself thinking;
and my bravado, I find it slowly shrinking.
That powerful man I thought was me
was nothing more than a flashing dream,
and disappears further the more I keep blinking.

Underneath the facade I find the man I've been aching to be
struggling to break out and grow into it's tree.
With a firm reliance on my God,
I slowly take to this new path I trod,
hoping only to draw closer to Him who set me free.

But my mind, it still wanders itself back to then,
when we thought we had finally become men.
The youth in our eyes
couldn't help us to realize
Manhood is a long journey we had yet to begin.

No comments: