07 February 2009

Austin Mission Trip: Day 1

(This blog was actually written yesterday, Friday the 6th of February.)

As the day winds to a close here in Austin (actually, I guess it's just getting started, seeing as its 1:15 a.m.), I figured I would write and give an update on how things are going.


Day one was great. We had some evangelism training this morning, which was good. I got some really good stuff from that. Then in the afternoon I had the chance to relax and actually take a nap. But the big event didn't come until later tonite, when we hosted an FCA Fifth Quarter. Let me tell you, details were all over the place tonite , and schedules were constantly being changed, but we got the event done. And in true God fashion, it was a smashing success. There was an awesome turnout (maybe around 75 people) and the kids were asking Candice (the sponsor for FCA) when the next one was. To be able to give that ministry such a shot in the arm for future events they may do was awesome. And just to be able to interact with the kids and talk to them and support them where they are was great.

But i wasn't happy with my own "performance" tonite. Starting conversations with strangers is perhaps difficulty #1 in my life, and I let myself off the hook tonite. I threw the football with some guys at various times, and juggled the soccer ball with some others, but I just wasn't intentional with my conversations--which is to say that I really didn't start any conversations. As we were driving back to the house after it was over, I was really bummed out about it. But luckily, tomorrow will provide a chance to get back on the horse so to speak--another laid-back atmosphere in which I can have some intentional conversation while engaging in some sports. So if you get the chance, pray for the group--pray that God will continue to work through us here in Austin. We really want to see God do some great things this week, and are praying that he would answer that prayer.

No comments: