10 August 2008

Colossians 3:23-24

I was moving out of my apartment in Athens last week, and a realization suddenly occurred to me: somehow I wound up doing a lot of extra work to get the apartment ready for move out inspection. Mostly this was due to the fact I was the last one there, and the others had to move out in haste. And it's not like I had to make major repairs or anything; but I started feeling wronged nonetheless. Our wonderful Enemy began to whisper in my ear that this was a great injustice--why should I have to do all this extra work? I listened to this voice for a bit, but then the Spirit began to whisper a little louder. Through God's grace I found myself listening more and more to the Spirit and not the Enemy. And like He usually does, I found the Spirit whispering Truth that silenced the lies and stopped the Enemy in his tracks.

As I emerged from this little episode in my life, I saw God teaching me something: simply put, there are some tasks in life which are not glamorous nor glorious, but they must be done. There is no fanfare for finishing, nor any glory in the going, but it must be completed nonetheless. No one will see you selflessly slaving away, nor will they say thank you when the task is ended. But the job must be done. It's tough going sometimes in those moments, but in the end it is good for us to have to do these types of jobs. For one thing, it teaches us to appreciate the "thank you's" we do receive. We learn the beauty and value in a simple "good job," especially when we've had to do some gross and difficult things without even a second glance. And if earthly "thank you's" have a sweeter sound, how much sweeter still will it be to hear the eternal God say "Well done, good and faithful servant." Regardless we can take solace in the fact that God is watching, and He is taking note of every task completed in His name ("And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'" --Matthew 25:40).

But more than that, rejoice in the perfecting of your faith that God brings about in these moments ("so that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ;" --1 Peter 1:7). What great humility can we learn through completing such tasks, through suffering and serving in silence. We learn to tune in totally to our audience of one -- to pay attention to God's attention and no other. We learn the heart of our Savior, "who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross." --Philippians 2:6-8) -- and allow Him to grow a little bit of His humility in us. Oh that His humility would take over my heart and mind until I am consumed in His grace! May I become like David -- a man after God's own heart.

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." --Colossians 3:23

No comments: