23 September 2008

Foundation Statement

We've been given an interesting assignment this week for one of the classes: develop a statement which serves as our foundational statement. This is the sentence that would be written on the foundation of our life were it possible to do so. It is the statement that best describes upon what our entire identity is based, around what all our actions revolve--basically it is the motivation behind all that we do.

The next few days will be eye-opening, for sure, as I go about examining my life and developing this sentence. I know what I would like for the sentence to be, but I'm not sure if it fits just yet. I have been thinking about this the past week or so, so I have identified a sentence into which I hope to conform and develop my identity. It is the one to which I try to run every day, and by which I am trying to be guided.

Interestingly enough, this sentence has characterized the path of my life in recent years. The only reason I hesitate to call it my foundational statement just yet is my intentions in those times. Yes it has characterized many of the actions, but has it characterized my intentions, my heart behind those actions? Now that I have identified the statement through God's illumination, I am attempting to let the Spirit conform my identity to it. But I cannot say as yet how far the developing process has come. I know in the next few days much prayer, discussion and examination will shed some light on the subject. "May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all."



"Indeed I count everything as loss for the surpassing greatness of knowing Jesus Christ my Lord . . . and count them but rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ" --Philippians 3:8

No comments: