12 September 2008

Forge #3

One of the lessons I hope to be taught by You here is to be intentional about spreading the Word everywhere. Sure, surrounded by the comforting wilderness of Pine Cove I proclaim the Gospel boldly. But is that really being bold? Who is going to attack me here, the squirrels? Who is there to risk my comfort--the wind or the trees? Would I be as willing and eager to proclaim the Gospel to the waitress at Chili's? Or to the man sitting at the bar day after day? Or how about to those who are hurting in the hospital? Will I boldly tell the woman at Chili's that her real service should be to God the Father? To the man at the bar, will I say that what he really thirsts for is not in those spirits, but the Holy Spirit? Would I tell the physically ill they should seek Jesus, the healer of their soul?

I think I have grown too accustomed to, and comfortable in, the fellowship of other Christians. I have forgotten and neglected our calling to be the salt of the earth, to take Christ to the dying. I take for granted the joy it is to be in the presence of Christians. Lord may I never take for granted how great and amazing it is to be here with my fellow classmates, and all the great staff here at Pine Cove. May we be a joy to You, and through that bless each other.


"It is by the grace of God that a congregation is permitted to gather visibly in this world to share God's Word and sacrament." --Dietrich Bonhoeffer


"But God has put this Word into the mouth of men in order that it may be communicated to other men." --Dietrich Bonhoeffer


"The Christ in his own heart is weaker than the Christ in the word of his brother; his own heart is uncertain, his brother's is sure." --Dietrich Bonhoeffer

No comments: